Speech Communication Students Explore Italy

My favorite part of this amazing experience was being able to travel to a different city in Italy almost every other day and observe the culture. The views are breathtaking everywhere you go and it makes you realize how big our world really is and how much it has to offer! What surprised me the most was how relevant my communication classes were in helping me navigate through this once in a lifetime experience. Almost everything I learned in my cross-cultural class was relevant to the culture that I experienced there. Everyone just slows down and enjoys the moment they are in which was so relaxing. Interpersonal skills and nonverbal cues also came in handy. For instance, when it came to dealing with new roommates or trying to communicate to the old woman that owned the café that I wanted a cappuccino and not a shot of espresso. Culture shock was also very apparent after we were there for a few weeks, I could literally point out the phase that we were currently going through at that moment! Paying attention in class certainly paid off! The advice that I would give to future students traveling abroad is never take a moment of it for granted and journal every single day. This opportunity made me become a better-rounded person and open to different cultures other than mine!

Caroline Wilson visits Italy, summer 2014