Here Comes Graduation!

Seniors

“Here comes the bride, all dressed in..” wait, wait wrong life milestone.  On December 13, 2014 at 1pm, fourteen women will be graduating from the Valdosta State University Speech Communication, Public Relations Program.  This semester only females will be graduating from the program, which made for, “an interesting semester to say the least,” said senior Brittany Duren.  “We challenged one another to be the best we can be.  If one person felt discouraged, they didn’t feel that way for long because we were a band of sisters united by a common goal that is–graduation.”

Communication was listed by Forbes magazine as one of the most in demand majors.  You might ask why.  The seniors graduating from this program at Valdosta State University have taken courses in Electronic Public Relations, Public Relations Layout and Design, Public Relations Writing, Public Relations Law and Ethics, Public Relations Plans and Campaigns, and Integrated Marketing to name a few.  These fourteen women have been trained to design, work with websites, write, and event plan.  Nearly all companies need people trained in at least one if not several of these fields.  The beauty of communication is that it is extremely versatile and it is a necessity in all areas of life. Communication is needed in the business place and in personal relationships.  Almost all fourteen women are interested in different areas of communication.  These soon to be graduates have worked tirelessly over the past few years, and they are excited to show the professional Public Relations world what Valdosta State University has to offer.

A common statement between both faculty and students is that the Speech Communication Program is a family, “It’s bittersweet to be graduating,” said Duren. “I am going to miss college and hope to be lifelong friends with the people I have met.”  The students care about one another, and the faculty care about their students.  These fourteen women will take the professional world by storm, and next semester there will be more remarkable graduates joining them because the VSU Speech Communication Program produces well trained, prepared professionals.

As one of the fourteen graduates, I can assure you I have been pushed, stretched, and encouraged by some of the best professors in the state.  I cannot wait to use the amazing experiences and knowledge I have gained and apply it in the professional world.  I love my program, and I love my school! I am proud to be a Valdosta State University alumni!

Senior Plans and Campaigns students.
Senior Plans and Campaigns students.