Meatless Mondays

Miso has a distinct savory flavor, and when pared with veggies and orzo pasta, is filling and tasty. This is one of those dishes you can eat as much as you want and not feel guilty!

I love avocado! I put it on a lot of dishes, but I was happy to find it was amazing on this pasta dish.

Black beans add protein and fiber, yum!

Miso can be found at Asian food stores. I got mine at the one on Bemiss by Cuz’s.

While cooking, add the miso. You want the flavor to be cooked in with the pasta. You can ad as much or as little as you like.

ENJOY!

A southern favorite! Red potato hash and cheesy grits! All plant based! This recipe has no added salt, sugar, or oil, and tastes great. You can add more veggies, or sub out the ones you don’t like.

If you don’t like the “Cheesy” flavor of the nutritional yeast, you can omit it and add a plant based butter to have a more mild flavor. If you do add the plant based butter, the recipe will have added oil and higher calories.

For this week, It’s yummy Mexican food! since this is Meatless Monday and not Taco Tuesday- I did a burrito instead, but you can always make it a taco if you would like!

For this recipe, I use forbidden (or black) rice. You can use any rice you prefer, or make a Spanish rice with jasmine rice, cumin, tomato paste, garlic, and whatever else you like.

You can add salsa or guac if you have a recipe you love!

To get an even better home cooked flavor, make your own refried beans and season them the way you like!

You can add a vegan cheese or vegan nacho cheese sauce! To make the cheese sauce, cook 1 carrot cubed with 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes cubed. Once soft, put in a food processor with 1 cup plant based milk (I use unsweetened almond), garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 cup of cashews and 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (to figure out what that is, scroll down to the first recipe in this post.) Blend until smooth and runny like nacho cheese!

ENJOY!

This stuff is easy and great! Making your own chips eliminates oil! Great for parties and get-togethers. 🙂

Today we have one of my favorites! BRUSCHETTA! This has great flavor and can be used as a dip or a topper for your favorite grain (Quinoa, brown rice, etc.)

You’ll want to go to the produce section of Publix and grab the Follow Your Heart Parmesan cheese. It looks like this…

You can use as much or as little vinegar as you like. I use a good bit in this recipe, so if you think it’s too much, you can always half the amount. Garlic is another one that you can change based on taste. I REALLY like garlic, so there’s a good bit in here. I eyeball a lot of the things I cook- play with this recipe to find what you like the best.

Make sure you get FRESH basil! It makes a world of difference.

Serve cold or store in the fridge for 4-5 days… if it lasts that long.

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to Meatless Mondays. Each week we will add a new recipe on Friday to make on Monday! All the recipes have been tested and tasted to ensure yummy goodness! If you look over the recipe and have questions, please feel free to comment. I will add the information on where to get items that you may haven’t heard of, or may not know where to find them and tell you little tips and tricks to make the most flavorful dishes.  I want to make sure this is an easy process and you’re able to be successful and love your healthy food. Eating clean and healthy doesn’t have to be boring or tasteless! Enjoy your healthy choices!

Cutting down on animal products can help lower blood cholesterol and decrease blood pressure. The increased fiber can help those with gastrointestinal issues, and decrease flares of IBS. Plant based recipes have all the decadence of their animal based products without feeling tired or bloated after eating.

Sorry the first post is a bit late, but here it is; Meatless savory “cheesy” lasagna. This one is kid-tested and and a family favorite.

Tips & Tricks

• Use a 9 x 13 baking dish. I use a glass pan, but you can use others.
  • Cover with tin foil. Make sure to remove it at the end to brown the top.
  • Cover the noodles completely. You don’t want crispy edges.
  • This recipe serves 8, but the hearty portion may have you eating a smaller serving. This means less calories.

What is nutritional yeast? Where do I find “Follow Your Heart “cheese”? Tofu? 

• All of the ingredients can be found at your local Publix. The nutritional yeast is on the baking isle near the flour. There will be a “Greenwise” header with a lot of spices, flours, and sugars that are plant based and whole foods. When you look in this section, the product looks like this:

This stuff gives a cheesy flavor and a good bit of B12. No dairy needed.

• Follow your heart cheese, tofu, and other plant based products are found in the produce section. In the Publix on Inner Perimeter, it’s in the back corner of the produce section next to the organic vegetables. The cheese and tofu you’re looking for look like this:

• Tofu is packed with protein and takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. The firm texture of this tofu give a ricotta-like texture and when the other ingredients are added, you’ll think you’re just eating some regular old ricotta!

What is herbs de province?

• This is an Italian herb. You can find it with the other herbs and spices and it looks like this.

Okay! I think that’s everything you need to make the best meatless lasagna out there! See you next Monday!