Part 1: Pulse Rate
Measure your pulse in each of the following conditions (in each case you will count your pulse for 1 full minute):
- lying down
- during 1 minute of exercise
- immediately after 2 minutes of exercise
Record the pulse data for everyone in the class. You may use Table 1 in the Heart Physiology Worksheet for this, if you wish. Once you have all the data, then do the following:
- Calculate the average pulse rate in each condition by adding all the measurements in each column and dividing by the number of students that were measured.
- Make a bar graph of the class averages for each measurement. You may use Graph 1 in the Heart Physiology Worksheet for this, if you wish. Be sure to write the class average above each bar!
- Using your graph, answer questions 1 a and b in the Heart Physiology Worksheet.