Artist Reception This Friday, March 6

Artist Margi Weir will be speaking about her exhibition, “Bearing Witness” in the Dedo Maranville Fine Arts Gallery this Friday, March 6th, noon-1pm.

Calling Students and Faculty of

Political Science

Art and Design

History

English

Psychology

Human Services

Communication Arts

African American Studies

Sociology, Anthropology and Social Justice

And The Human Condition

Artist Margi Weir will be speaking about her exhibition, “Bearing Witness” in the Dedo Maranville Fine Arts Gallery this Friday, March 6, noon-1PM.

Margi Weir, an Associate Professor of Painting and Drawing at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, calls upon figurative arrangements and presents them in a tapestry-like fashion; the juxtaposition of elements creates unique pleasing patterns, blurring—but not hiding—the socio-political and ecological themes in her pieces. 

Margi Weir describes her work:

My work, creative research, has always been about topics that are personal even if political.  It is often the only way that I can come to terms with things that anger me or frighten me.  I have become so horrified by the level of anger and division in this country that I must take a look at it through making work about it.  I don’t expect my work to change anything, but through a juxtaposition of images, I hope the viewer will come away with a continued questioning of their own.

Julie Bowland

Professor and Gallery Director

Dedo Maranville Fine Arts Gallery

Department of Art & Design

College of the Arts