Shauni D. Redfearn’s ceramic sculpture titled “Back To Life” won Best in Show at the 11th Annual South Georgia College Art Invitational. She is a senior art major at Valdosta State University. VSU won a total of 10 awards at the competition.
Shauni D. Redfearn’s ceramic sculpture titled “Back To Life” won Best in Show at the 11th Annual South Georgia College Art Invitational. Her work, along with other competition entries, will remain on display at the Albany Area Arts Council Carnegie Library for public viewing through Tuesday, Nov. 25.
“I was shocked,” said the Valdosta State University senior who anticipates graduating in May 2015 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.). “I was just happy to be a part of the show. There were so many good pieces in it; I never expected to win. It was nice to feel the support of everybody.”
The Dixie native had a total of three pieces accepted into the South Georgia College Art Invitational, including a mixed media painting titled “Mending Thoughts” and an untitled silverprint, which captured Second Place Photography honors. Although she won awards for her work as a sculptor and photographer, Redfearn prefers drawing and working with mixed media and has recently been using a lot of graphite, ink, and markers in her work. She hopes to continue her education, pursuing a master’s degree in printmaking, after VSU. She does not have many definite plans for her future but says she may try to work in a print shop or teach.
“I haven’t really decided yet and kind of want to see where life takes me,” she said.
The South Georgia College Art Invitational features works created by art students at Albany State University, Darton State College, and Valdosta State University. It was conceived to allow college students to showcase and sell their art and to give them hands-on, professional experience with entering shows and displaying their work.
Entries were accepted in six categories — sculpture, ceramics, printmaking/graphic design, drawing, painting, and photography. VSU had a total of 30 works, five in each category, accepted into the 2014 South Georgia College Art Invitational.
In addition to Redfearn’s Best in Show and Second Place Photography awards, VSU won the following:
• Second Place Painting, Amber Hudson, “The Agreement”
• Honorable Mention Painting, Lucas Rocheleau, “Crowley”
• First Place Drawing, Savannah Hensley, “Into the Light”
• Honorable Mention, Kaylyn Stout, “Growing Up”
• First Place Graphics, Lindsay Schultze, “Sloth and Gluttony”
• First Place Photography, Bryce France, “Fireman 1”
• First Place Ceramics, Ashley Watkins, “Bad Genes”
• Honorable Mention Ceramics, Josh Taylor, “Man in the Middle”
The Albany Area Arts Council Carnegie Library is located at 215 N. Jackson St. and is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Admission is free of charge. Any groups interested in visiting outside normal business hours should call (229) 439-2787 and speak to Nicole Williams, executive director.
On the Web:
Complete List of VSU’s Accepted Entries:
• Sculpture — “Mother Daughter” by Joel Dion, found objects; “Psalm 139” by Josh Taylor, mixed media; “Don’t Shoot” by Julianna Toney, alabaster; “Back To Life” by Shauni Redfearn, ceramic; “Alpha and Omega” by Robin Carter, bronze
• Ceramics — “Bad Genes” by Ashley Watkins, ceramic; “The Sound” by Breyana Jackson, mixed media; “Toxic Rabbit” by Lindsay Schultze,” stoneware; “Stem Cell Tea” by Robin Carter, raku stoneware; “Man in the Middle” by Josh Taylor, ceramic
• Printmaking/Graphic Design — “Beauty” by Casey O’Kelley, screenprint; “Serengeti Smiles” by Ashley Cheeks, digital art; “Sloth and Gluttony by Lindsay Schultze, intaglio, aquatint; “Passion of the Hedgehog” by Christopher M. Cagle, lithograph; “Fungus” by Emily Smith, photo-lithography
• Drawing — “Desi Jane” by Joel Dion, color pencil, found wood; “Untitled” by Caleb Brown, graphite; “Growing Up” by Kaylyn Stout, mixed media; “Into the Light” by Savannah Hensley, charcoal; “Blue Whale” by Brandon Moultrie, ink and white pen
• Painting — “Rustic America” by Carlin Morrison, oil; “Repair” by Ashley Watkins, oil; “The Agreement” by Amber Hudson, mixed media; “Mending Thoughts” by Shauni Redfearn, mixed media; “Crowley by Lucas Rocheleau, mixed media
• Photography — “Untitled” by Carlin Morrison, inkjet print; “Fireman 1” by Bryce France, color photography; “Love Life Death” by Astrid Scheib, inkjet print; “Montana Sunset” by Sky Neary, inkjet print; “Untitled” by Shauni Redfearn, silverprint
Jessica R. Pope